The Lil’wat Nation is preparing an Aboriginal Interest and Use Study (AIUS) for a portion of the Lil’wat Nation traditional territory in the area surrounding the proposed Ryan River Hydro Project (RRHP). The proposed RRHP consists of a run-of-river hydroelectric development utilizing flows from the Ryan River to generate electricity at a capacity of approximately 145 MW. The project is being reviewed under the Environmental Assessment Office (EAO) and is in the Application stage.
The proposed project consists of an intake structure near the confluence of Petersen Creek and the Upper Ryan River, a four to five metre wide tunnel extending approximately 9.5 kilometres through bedrock, a powerhouse site and switchyard above the right bank on the lower reaches of the Ryan River, an approximately 26.5 kilometre long transmission line operating at 230kV connecting to the substation at Rutherford Creek, a proposed fish rehabilitation area and various staging areas and access roads (Figure 1).
Discussions with Lil’wat Nation:
The proponent first engaged the Mt Currie Band/Lil’wat Nation in 2003 when a series of informal meetings were held between the proponent and Lil’wat representatives to discuss the proposed project. The following is a list of studies and/or engagement that have taken place over the last several years.
- 2003 – Fisheries studies in the Ryan River, Creekside Resources Inc (CRI)
- 2003 – Presentation at Lil’wat watershed council meeting, Lil’wat Fisheries Commission
- 2007- Fisheries studies in the Ryan River, CRI
- 2008 – Working Group participant in the Environmental Assessment process
- 2008 – Preliminary Field Reconnaissance (PFR) of the Ryan River Hydro Project near Pemberton, BC, Lil’wat Land and Resources Department
- 2009 – Archaeological Impact Assessment (AIA) of the Ryan River Hydroelectric Project (Final Permit Report- June 24, 2010 Lil’wat Land and Resources Department)
- March 2010 – Land and Resources Dept community information meeting about Lil’wat’s IPP Strategy
- June 2010 – Community presentation on Draft Ryan River IPP Traditional Use Study and Ryan River IPP Project Description
- August 2010 – Lil’wat Traditional Use of the Proposed Ryan River Hydroelectric Project Area (Draft report – August 5, 2010 Lil’wat Land and Resources Department)
- Current – Aboriginal Interest and Use Study
Information Meeting – October 20, 2010:
An information meeting about the project is scheduled for October 20, 2010 at Ull’usfrom 4:00pm – 8:00pm; dinner will be served at 5:00 pm.
Project information and comment sheets are available at the Land and Resources Office (a binder containing project information is available for review in the office). Information on the project can also be found on the EAO website: www.eao.gov.bc.ca – (Go to Project Information Centre- search Ryan River Hydro Project).
If you have any questions, concerns or comments about the project or the information night, please call the Land and Resources Department at (604) 894 – 2333, or email email@example.com.