Location: Signal Hill Elementary School
Status: Part-Time (6 hours/day)
Reporting to: Casey Dick-Wyatt, Advanced Education Manager
Wage/Salary: Dependent on Experience
The Aboriginal Support Services assists students’ academic, physical, emotional and spiritual growth. The Support Services provider consults and works with resource people, parents, and School District No. 48 personnel to coordinate and support various programs to students. Acts as an Aboriginal student advocate and motivator.
- Provides Individual and small group support to self-identified intermediate Aboriginal students
- Works in collaboration with Aboriginal Support Worker team, classroom teachers, school administration and School Based Team
- Liaisons between home and school
- Acts as a cultural resource person
- Facilitates the involvement of Aboriginal culture and language resource people In the School
- Acts as an advocate for Aboriginal students to help develop pride in their unique culture and language
- Provides competent information about local Aboriginal culture and language to Individual and groups of students that encourages pride of heritage
- Liaises and works cooperatively with teachers to Integrate local Aboriginal content into the BC Ministry of Education curriculum
- Contributes insight into Aboriginal cultural heritage and creating a welcoming environment for Aboriginal students within the school community
- Assists students with personal and school related problem-solving skills
- Supports parents in problem solving with school related Issues
- Appropriate filing and documentation of student records
- Attends meetings as required including staff, school-based, and department meetings
- Provides insight into family background when necessary
- Acts as a positive role model and student advocate
- Documents daily activities on lndsight
- Reports to Employer of any events that deem appropriate
- Other job-related duties as assigned
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- Preferably Grade 12- and one-year related experience.
- Demonstrated experience in working successfully with Aboriginal students, parents and community
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with school administrators, school-based teams, and teachers.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative appropriately as needed.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than
4:30 p.m. on October 18th, 2019 to:
Casey Dick-Wyatt, Advanced Education Manager – email@example.com
Tśzil Learning Centre, P.O. Box 232, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0
We thank you for your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted