Title: Aboriginal Support Services N08
Location: Signal Hill Elementary School and Pemberton Secondary School
Status: Permanent Full-Time (6 hours/day)
Reporting to: Casey Dick-Wyatt, Advanced Education Manager
Wage/Salary: Dependent on Experience
The Aboriginal Culture and Language Services promote the use of St’at’yemcets Language and increase the knowledge of local Aboriginal culture and history among Aboriginal students in the school. Provide the Cultural Handbook program to K-12 teachers, so they can select cultural presentation throughout the school year. The Aboriginal service will prepare and deliver the cultural presentations or arrange for a local cultural resource person to visit the school. The goal is for every class to receive a variety of cultural presentations.
- Offers lessons from the Aboriginal Cultural Handbook to Grades K-12 classes at SHE and PSS
- Coordinates and organizes monthly cultural school-wide program at SHE & PSS.
- Acts as a cultural resource person
- Facilitates the Involvement of Aboriginal culture and language resource people In the School
- Acts as an advocate for Aboriginal students to help develop pride in their unique culture and language
- Provides competent Information about local Aboriginal culture and language to Individual and groups of students that encourages pride of heritage
- Liaises and works collaboratively with teachers to integrate local Aboriginal content into the BC Ministry of Education curriculum
- Contributes Insight into Aboriginal cultural heritage and creating a welcoming environment for Aboriginal students within the school community
- Assists with the preparation of Aboriginal cultural school-wide and classroom displays, newsletter articles, as well as bulletin boards
- Maintains records, photos and documents relating to Aboriginal cultural and language programs
- Develops linkages and collaboration between community and other groups Involved in Aboriginal languages and culture
- Documents dally activities on lndslght
- Reports to Employer of any events that deem appropriate
- Other job-related duties as assigned
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- Preferably Grade 12- and one-year related experience.
- Demonstrated experience in working successfully with Aboriginal students, parents and community
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with school administrators, school-based teams, and teachers.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative appropriately as needed
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than
4:30 p.m. on September 24, 2019 to:
Casey Dick-Wyatt, Advanced Education Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ts’zil Learning Centre, P.O. Box 232, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0
We thank you for your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted