Líl̓wat Nlep̓cálten (Garden) is a new initiative to grow food at the Xet̓ólacw Community School Fields.
Title: Agricultural Coordinator (2 positions)
Location: Mount Currie, B.C.
Status: Temporary part-time until March 31, 2019 with possibility of extension
Reporting to: On Reserve Lands Officer/GIS Coordinator
Líl̓wat Nlep̓cálten (Garden) is a new initiative to grow food at the Xet̓ólacw Community School Fields. The purpose of this newly planted 3-acre garden, orchard and berry patch is to provide fresh, healthy and locally grown food of our own. The garden also serves as a place to reconnect to the land, learn about health, culture and language, and be together. The hired coordinators will be responsible for overseeing the goals of the garden led by the Agriculture Project Committee and in collaboration with the University of British Columbia’s Lil’wat Food Security Project Research Team. This position is for 26 hours per week until March 31, 2019 with the possibility of extension.
- Oversees day to day activities of the garden, including recruiting and facilitating volunteers
- Coordinates the installation of community garden infrastructure, including electric fencing, irrigation, and greenhouse
- Sources seeds and other necessary equipment (dependent on funding)
- Coordinates Super Course with Xet̓ólacw Community School
- Creates and implements garden plan for 2019 growing season
- Identifies how food can be distributed to community groups and/or individuals
- Engages with community members and communicates on garden activities in accordance with the Outreach Plan
- Regularly communicates progress with direct supervisor and attends quarterly Agriculture Project Committee meetings
- Maintains and completes weekly activity and expense reports
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- Experience working in an agricultural role.
- Experience leading groups and working with diverse groups of people.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as be a cooperative and contributing member of a team
- Must be physically fit and capable of carrying 50lbs.
- Some working knowledge of Ucwalmícwts an asset.
- Level 1 First Aid Certification an asset (training can be provided).
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Word, use of internet and email, an asset.
- Must have cell phone; personal laptop an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than 4:00 p.m. on October 31, 2018 to:
Bobbi Jo Leo, Office Coordinator, Lands and Resources Department
Lands.Administration@lilwat.ca or P.O. Box 602, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0
We thank for your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted