Title: Agricultural Lead hand
Location: On the land
Status: Temporary – 1 year contract – 32 hours/week
Reporting to: Agricultural Manager
Wage/Salary: Dependent on Experience
The Agricultural lead hand will partner up with the Agricultural Manager in implementing the Nation’s food production and food security initiatives aligning them with our efforts towards self-determination. The successful candidate will assist with the community engagement process, translate plans to actionable items, be involved in all aspects of food production from planning to planting through to harvest.
- Support the activities of the Líl̓wat Agricultural Project through engaging the community to participate in community gardens, family plots and other food production related events.
- Assist the manager in project start up, issues analysis, resources and infrastructure assessment.
- Coordinate and schedule the operations of all identified food growing sites.
- Assist the manager with integrating the agricultural activities into existing programs such as: Health, Education, Social Development, Youth, Housing and Lands.
- Be the on-site “go to person” when issues involving machinery, equipment, tools, and supplies need to be actioned.
- Ensure that the gardens, plots and other food production workplaces are safe and maintained in an organized manner.
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- The successful candidate should have experience working within the Líl̓wat community and extensive experience in agriculture including practical knowledge and skills of working on farms.
- WorkSafe training, first aid, horticultural certificates an asset.
- Must be physically fit and capable of carrying 50 lbs.
- Some working knowledge of Ucwalmícwts an asset.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, internet and email. Must have cell phone.
- A current driver’s license and clean abstract.
- Must be able to supply a clear criminal record check in order to work with children and vulnerable adults.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than
4:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 26 to:
Shannon Didier, Agricultural Manager
Agricultural Dept., P.O. Box 602, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0
We thank you for your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted