The Recreation Department is looking to hire (2) two summer students to work as Agriculture Assistant for the months of June and July.
Title: Agriculture Assistant/Ecological Garden & Trails Assistant
Location: Recreation Department, Mount Currie, B.C.
Status: (2) Two Summer Student Positions (35 hours/week for 6 weeks)
Reporting to: Alphonse Wallace, Recreation Coordinator
Start Date: June 25, 2018
End Date: August 6, 2018
The Recreation Department is looking to hire (2) two summer students to work as Agriculture Assistant for the months of June and July. Successful candidates will need to help start up community garden, Community Beautification and learn herbology. The Agriculture Assistant will be expected to work from 8:30 – 4:30 Monday to Friday. They will be supervising and reporting back to the Recreation Department. Gloves, boots, herb/agriculture workshops will be provided.
- Gain knowledge and skills with local herbalist in the Liĺwat Nation Community.
- Keep daily monitoring reports of activities, and submit weekly to the Agriculture Assistant.
- Communicate with the public in the field in a courteous and respectful manner as a representative of Liĺwat Nation
Key Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Arrive at the Recreation Department office at 8:30 am each morning prepared to spend the day in recreation.
- Report at the end of the day by 4:00 pm.
- Be reliable, safety conscious and able to work in the field without supervision.
- Be responsible in time management.
- Assist with site preparation and maintenance of the Community Garden sites and Seed Garden Plots
- Assist with the maintenance and care of the nature trails, grounds and buildings
- Assist with the summer nature trails, grounds, and buildings
- Create signage for compost & garden & trails & development of agricultural ecosystem intended to be sustainable and self-sufficient features
- Assist with the production our newsletter and update to social media
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- Must be minimal of 15 years of age and enrolled in High School or full time post-secondary
- Must be First Nations/Inuit
- Must have social insurance number (SIN)
- Must be available for the 6 weeks of employment
- Ability to communicate well with the public.
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Ability to fill in daily monitoring reports
- Proficient in use of a computer or laptop is an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than
4:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 14, 2018 to:
Alphonse Wallace, Recreation Coordinator to Recreation Department
P.O. Box 602, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0
Phone: (604)894-6115 ext: 2254 Email: Alphonse.Wallace@lilwat.ca
We thank for your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted