The Land and Resource Department is looking to hire three (3) students to work as mountain bike trail monitors for the months of July and August.
Title: Liĺwat Nation Trail Monitors
Location: Lands and Resources Office, Mount Currie, B.C.
Status: Summer Student Position (35 hours/week for 8 weeks)
Reporting to: Harriet VanWart, Director and/or Bobbi Jo Leo, Office Coordinator of Land and Resources
Start Date: July 9, 2018
End Date: August 31, 2018
The Land and Resource Department is looking to hire three (3) students to work as mountain bike trail monitors for the months of July and August. Successful candidates will need to have their own mountain bike and bike repair kit, and be a competent mountain biker with knowledge of trails and safe mountain biking practices. The trail monitors will be expected to work from 8:30 – 4:30 Monday to Friday biking the trails in the Pemberton Valley, including the Signal Hill and Mosquito Lake trails. They will be monitoring and reporting back to the Land and Resources Department on any trail building activities, wildlife activities, and other activities on the land. First Aid and Bear Aware training will be provided.
- Plan daily outings, and clearly communication whereabouts with the Land and Resources Department
- Keep daily monitoring reports of activities and sightings, and submit weekly to the Director of Land and Resources
- Communicate with the public in the field in a courteous and respectful manner as a representative of Liĺwat Nation
Key Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Arrive at the Land and Resources Department office at 8:30 am each morning prepared to spend the day biking mountain bike trails
- Report back at the end of the day by 4:00 pm.
- Be reliable, safety conscious and able to work in the field without supervision
- Be responsible for upkeep and maintenance of your own mountain bike
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- Must be minimal of 15 years of age and enrolled in High School or full time post-secondary
- Must be First Nations/Inuit
- Must have social insurance number (SIN)
- Must own or have access to a mountain bike for daily use over the 8 weeks of employment
- Must own a bike repair kit, keep with you at all times, and be capable of doing bike repairs in the field as needed
- Ability to communicate well with the public while out on the trail
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Ability to fill in daily monitoring reports
- Proficient in use of an iPad is an asset
- Owning a cellular phone is an asset
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 5, 2018 to:
Bobbi Jo Leo, Office Coordinator, Lands and Resources Department
P.O. Box 602, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0
Phone: (604)894-6115 ext.: 2467 Email: Lands.Administration@lilwat.ca
We thank for your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
THIS POSITION IS DEPENDENT ON CONFIRMATION OF FUNDING