The On-Reserve Lands Officer is responsible for the oversight of matters related to Líl̓wat Nation lands, natural resources and environment within all ten of the Nation’s reserve lands in accordance with the Nation’s custom policies, procedures, and under the Reserve Land and Environment Management Program (RLEMP).
Location: Lands and Resources Office, Mount Currie, B.C.
Status: Permanent—Full time
Reporting to: Director of Lands and Resources
Wage/Salary: Dependent on Experience
The On-Reserve Lands Officer is responsible for the oversight of matters related to Líl̓wat Nation lands, natural resources and environment within all ten of the Nation’s reserve lands in accordance with the Nation’s custom policies, procedures, and under the Reserve Land and Environment Management Program (RLEMP). This includes coordinating the Land and Resources Department GIS data, as well as providing technical and administrative support on issues concerning reserve land registration, land use planning, additions to reserve, land-use policy development, and enforcement. Direction is provided by the Líl̓wat Nation Land Management Board and the Land and Resources Department Director.
- Conduct the accurate and timely preparation, facilitation and maintenance of all land transaction documents and systems (reports, lands registrations and transfers, parcel history/abstract reports);
- Maintain the structure and organization of the Land and Resource Department’s Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and associated databases;
- Coordinate the review, implementation and monitoring of Líl̓wat Land Law Policy and On-Reserve Land Use Plan;
- Ensure compliance with the Reserve Land and Environmental Management Program (RLEMP), regulations and enforceable provisions of the Indian Act, other federal legislation along with applicable INAC policies;
- Provide guidance, advice and support on land management legislation regulations, leasing matters, policies and practices to Council, Líl̓wat Nation staff, Líl̓wat Nation citizens and others involved in land transactions on the Nation’s reserve land to ensure both policy and legislative compliance;
- Co-chair Land Management Board meetings in support of the Council portfolio representative;
- Maintain confidentiality on Land Management issues;
- Liaise and consult with staff in other departments, community members, and government and professional agencies (including appraisers, professional biologists, surveyors, lawyers, etc.).
- Assist the team and leader with other deliverables as required
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- A certificate, diploma or degree in one or more of the following areas: Land Management, Natural or Renewable Resource Management, Environmental Studies, Human Geography, First Nations Studies and/or Aboriginal Law;
- ARC GIS 1: Introduction certification (minimum);
- Minimum 2 years of office administration experience. Previous experience working for First Nation’s an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills – must have the ability to work effectively with Líl̓wat Nation citizens to implement land registrations;
- Advanced level computer skills and knowledge, including:
- knowledge of digital mapping software, preferably ArcGIS;
- knowledge of and experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Access & Excel); and
- Proficient data management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including a strong ability in report writing and proposal writing;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as be a cooperative and contributing member of a team;
- Must be capable of working flexible hours inclusive of evenings when required ;
- A valid BC Driver’s License is an asset; and
- Knowledge and understanding of the Líl̓wat Nation’s culture, history, reserve lands and traditional territory an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than
Bobbi Jo Leo, Office Coordinator, Land and Resources Department
4:30 p.m. on Wednesday June 14, 2017 to:
P.O. Box 602, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0