Status: Temporary Full Time – 2 years
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer /Advisory Committee
The Senior Researcher will be tasked with leading and conducting surveys, focus groups, interviews, analyzing and reporting data into Líl̓wat systems, procedures and community processes.
In this position, you will need to use a wide range of research, analytical and project management skills to lead, support, guide the collection, organization and digitization of Líl̓wat history and knowledge.
- Conducting primary research activities and develop a research database.
- Planning and executing various research methods such as interviews, surveys, archival research, analysis, and integration of databases.
- Ensuring appropriate quality control of assigned tasks, monitoring quality assurance in data collection processes.
- Working in parallel with the Indigenous Research Support Initiative at UBC Vancouver, this position supports research that involves collaborative partnerships, excellence in research, and authentic and reciprocal research relationships.
- As a part of the development of this new position, the incumbent will be responsible for developing an advisory committee to review protocols related to practices of engagement, ethical conduct and data management practices.
- Develop strategies and tools to support researchers to engage with Indigenous partners.
- Ensure Indigenous community participation in development of engagement processes and protocols, research standards, and practices.
- Facilitate the dissemination of research in adherence with Indigenous protocols and principles of data management.
- Producing well-written reports that clearly communicate project methodologies, assessed evidence, and research findings (clearly and concisely).
- Providing effective project management to deliver high quality results on time and on budget.
Key Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge:
- Master’s degree in Aboriginal governance, with an undergraduate degree in social sciences such as anthropology, sociology, or another field that included a strong applied research component.
- A minimum of 2-5 years of applied research work experience in a professional, client-focused environment with responsibility for managing projects from inception to completion.
- Strong senior level writing skills with the ability to clearly communicate complex concepts.
- High level of knowledge in complex data management, research methods and methodology, evaluation frameworks, and appropriate research process best practices.
- Proficiency with a variety of technical applications including MS Word, MS Access, MS Excel, MS Publisher.
- Understanding of Aboriginal ways of knowing, being and doing.
- Excellent organizational and time management skill.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain a balanced perspective.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than Friday May 10, 2019
to: Dan.Piotrowski@lilwat.ca or PO Box 602 Mount Currie VON 2K0