Title: Líl̓wat Nation Summer Coordinator
Location: Recreation Department, Mount Currie, B.C.
Status: (1) One – Summer Student Position (35 hours/week for 6 weeks Temporary Full-Time)
Reporting to: Alphonse Wallace, Recreation Coordinator
The Recreation Department is looking to hire a summer student to work as Summer Coordinator from June 26, 2019 to August 12, 2019. Successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, coordination, operation and support of programs to ensure effective and cohesive operation on a day-to-day-basis; the training, support and supervision of all staff; camper wellness and the administering of first aid; administration where/when applicable. The Summer Coordinator will be expected to work from 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday. They will be supervising and reporting back to the Recreation Department. Uniforms will be provided.
- Plan organize and implement summer camps from children age 8 to 13 years of age in the Líl̓wat Nation Community
- Plan and disseminate weekly program schedules for all activities to staff and management.
- Plan & Coordinate daily work schedules for other personnel, including training & supervision.
- Always Ensure supervision of campers and provide a safe and enjoyable experience by adhering to all safety and emergency procedures.
- Prove a quality customer service to campers, volunteers and parents.
- Actively participate in planning and delivering staff training, conduct weekly staff meeting.
- Build positive relations with resource people, team members, and staff, public
- Keep updated records and create bi-weekly activity report for Recreation Coordinator
- Ensure safe practices of/for visitors, volunteers & staff while on site.
- Ensure high levels of morale by providing mentorship and support to staff to ensure that the program’s objectives and mission are met.
- Manage registration process and logistics related to summer camp.
- Monitor safety of children and volunteers in the swimming pool and changing areas
- Recognize and respond effectively to emergencies
- Submit weekly reports to management detailing the summer camp’s progress
- Act as direct liaison with parents, campers and camp staff
- Organize and manage the delivery of first aid to campers and staff
- Maintain records of first aid incidents, actions and results
- Conduct safety checks of program equipment and facilities daily.
- Reporting anything that impacts the quality and safe delivery of the program in a timely manner.
- Work both independently and in a team environment to complete assigned tasks
- The Coordinator may be asked to perform other camp related duties not listed above
- Keep daily monitoring reports of activities, and submit weekly to the Recreation Coordinator
- Communicate with the public in the field in a courteous and respectful manner as a representative of Líl̓wat Nation
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Under direction of the Recreation Coordinator, the successful candidate is responsible to plan and implement a comprehensive, inclusive, age-appropriate camp program that meets the needs of all participants.
- Be reliable, safety conscious and able to work in the field without supervision.
- Be responsible in time management.
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- A valid BC Driver’s License is an asset;
- Must be minimal of 18 years of age and enrolled in High School or full-time post-secondary
- Must be First Nations/Inuit
- Must have social insurance number (SIN)
- Must be available for the 6 weeks of employment
- Ability to communicate well with the public.
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Ability to fill in daily monitoring reports
- Proficient in use of a computer or laptop is an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 11, 2019 to:
Alphonse Wallace, Recreation Coordinator to Recreation Department
P.O. Box 602, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0
Phone: (604)894-6115 ext: 2254 Email: Alphonse.Wallace@lilwat.ca
We thank for your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted