Location: Recreation Department, Mount Currie, B.C.
Status: (1) – Summer Student Position (35 hours/week for 6 weeks)
Reporting to: Alphonse Wallace, Recreation Coordinator
Closing Date: July 9th, 2020 @ 4pm
Start Date: July13th, 2020
End Date: August 07, 2020
The Recreation Department is looking to hire a summer student to work as Summer Coordinator from July 13th , 2020 to August 07, 2020. Successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, coordination, operation and support of programs to ensure effective and cohesive operation on a day-to-day-basis; the training, support and supervision of all staff; the administering of first aid; administration where/when applicable. The Summer Coordinator will be expected to work from 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday. They will be supervising and reporting back to the Recreation Department. Uniforms will be provided.
- Plan organize and implement summer student workers and 1-2-day activities for children 8 to 13 years of age in the Líl̓wat Nation Community
- Plan and disseminate weekly program schedules for all activities to Youth staff.
- Plan & Coordinate daily work schedules for other personnel, including training & supervision.
- Ensure & provide a safe and enjoyable experience by adhering to all safety and emergency procedures.
- Prove a quality customer service to volunteers and parents.
- Actively participate in planning and delivering staff training, conduct weekly staff meeting.
- Build positive relations with resource people, team members, and staff, public
- Keep updated records and create bi-weekly activity report for Recreation Coordinator
- Ensure safe practices of/for visitors, volunteers & staff.
- Ensure high levels of morale by providing mentorship and support to staff to ensure that the program’s objectives and mission are met.
- Manage registration process and logistics related to day activities.
- Monitor safety of children and volunteers at programs
- Recognize and respond effectively to emergencies
- Submit weekly reports to management detailing the summer workers progress
- Act as direct liaison with staff and parents
- Organize and manage the delivery of first aid to staff
- Maintain records of first aid incidents, actions, and results
- Conduct safety checks of program equipment and facilities daily.
- Reporting anything that impacts the quality and safe delivery of the program in a timely manner.
- Work both independently and in a team environment to complete assigned tasks
- The Coordinator may be asked to perform other duties not listed above
- Keep daily monitoring reports of activities, and submit weekly to the Recreation Coordinator
- Communicate with the public in the field in a courteous and respectful manner as a representative of Líl̓wat Nation
Key Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Be reliable, safety conscious and able to work in the field without supervision.
- Be responsible in time management.
Key Qualifications and Attributes:
- A valid BC Driver’s License is an asset.
- Must be minimal of 18 years of age and enrolled in High School or full-time post-secondary
- Must be First Nations/Inuit
- Must have social insurance number (SIN)
- Must be available for the 4 weeks of employment
- Ability to communicate well with the public.
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Ability to fill in daily monitoring reports
- Proficient in use of a computer or laptop is an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume no later than 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 9th, 2020 to:
Alphonse Wallace, Recreation Coordinator to Recreation Department
P.O. Box 602, Mount Currie, B.C. V0N 2K0
Phone: (604)698 9999 Email: Alphonse.Wallace@lilwat.ca
We thank for your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted